Application Process

How do I get a Water Permit? Who do I need to contact?

1. Plans are usually prepared by an architect or builder for your project (see the jurisdiction for requirements) and must meet MPWMD’s Water Efficiency Standards. New construction and certain refurbished landscaped areas require landscape plans and a water budget and must comply with MPWMD  Water Efficient Landscape Requirements.  For additional information, see Rule 23.

2 .Submit plans to the jurisdiction where the property is located.

3 .Complete a “Water Release Form and Water Permit Application” (see “Resources/Forms” tab); an authorized agent from the Jurisdiction must sign the form to indicate approval of the project.

4. After the jurisdiction has completed the plan check process, a set of complete stamped plans need to be submitted along with the Water Release Form and Water Permit Application to the Water Management District at 5 Harris Court, Bldg. G in Monterey in the Ryan Ranch Business Park.

5. Applications for Water Permits are not accepted unless the Water Release Form is signed by the jurisdiction and is accompanied by approved plans. (NO CONCEPT PLANS WILL BE ACCEPTED). In most cases, plans are returned to the applicant when the permit is issued.

6. When the application is submitted to MPWMD, staff will check for a previous inspection.  If there is no fixture inventory on file, an inspection will be scheduled to document water fixtures on the property. The deed restriction(s) and Water Permit will be prepared once a fixture inventory is available. The deed restrictions require property owner signatures to be notarized and returned to the Water District.  The District will record the documents with the Monterey County Recorder.  At that point, the applicant will be notified that the permit is ready and the status of any remaining permit fees, which are collected at that time the Water Permit is released.

7. Capacity Fees for the addition of fixtures are currently $305.02 per fixture unit from July 1, 2019-July 1, 2020 (these fees are adjusted July 1 of every year) plus $225 processing fee, and deed restriction processing fees. Applicants will pay the processing fee at the time the Water Permit application is submitted; all remaining fees are paid when the permit is picked up.

8. The applicant returns the approved plans and the Water Permit to the building department of the appropriate jurisdiction to obtain the building permit.

9. When the project is completed, a final inspection by the Water District is required in addition to the final inspection required by the building department.  The applicant is responsible to contact the Water District for the final inspection.

For more information, contact the Permits and Conservation Office at 831-658-5601.

WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann