Mandatory Water Efficiency for Commercial Water Users
Every non-residential building is required to have water efficient toilets, urinals and faucets. Businesses that have showerheads, ice machines and/or clothes washers must have water efficient models. These requirements applied to all businesses as of December 31, 2013. Visitor serving businesses (such as hotels and restaurants) were required to install water efficient devices by January 1, 2001. All visitor serving accommodations must have linen and towel reuse programs in place, and all public restrooms must have water conservation messages posted. Restaurants are only to serve water when requested.
Questions about these programs should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 831-658-5601.
Water Use Audit
Our conservation partner, California American Water offers free water use audits to commercial, industrial and institutional customers. Auditors will review all water use to identify efficient alternatives. Water efficiency reduces costs for businesses and has an added benefit of reducing energy use. Call today for an appointment, and one of California American Water’s conservation experts will inspect your business or facility to find ways to save water and lower your utility bills. During the audit, the water conservation experts will:
- Evaluate and analyze water savings
- Provide an annual water consumption history
- Calculate a cost/benefit analysis for water conserving technology
- Provide water efficient devices and materials, subject to availability
- Provide a detailed site evaluation and recommended fixture upgrades and water management practices
- Offer rebate incentives for:
- Zero water consumption urinals
- High efficiency or ultra-high efficiency toilets
- On-demand pump or point of source water heaters
- Smart controllers, rain sensors and soil sensors
- Cisterns and greywater systems
- Food service equipment
After the survey is complete, you will receive a summary report of findings and recommendations. Surveys will be conducted on a first-come, first-serve basis. To schedule your free survey, please contact the California American Water conservation office at: (831) 646-3205.