Strategic Planning Session and Special Board Meeting
Board of Directors
Monterey Peninsula Water Management District
March 27, 2003
5:30 PM and 7:00 PM
MPWMD Conference Room
4. Public Employment – General Manager
A. Discuss Employee Recruitment Process
5. Conference with Legal Counsel – Anticipated Litigation – Significant Exposure to Litigation Exists Pursuant to Subdivision (b) (3) (D) of Gov. Code Section 54956.9 (One Case)
6. Conference with Legal Counsel – Existing Litigation (Gov. Code Section 54956.9)
A. Currier & Kaminske v MPWMD, Case No. M 55299, Monterey County Superior Court
ADJOURN TO 7:00 PM SESSION
One public comment period will be conducted to receive all public comments on items A through C.
1. Discuss Action to Be Taken on Water Supply Project Initiative
Action: The Board will hear a presentation and receive the Phase 1 Engineering Study prepared by Camp Dresser & McKee on non-dam local water supply alternatives, with emphasis on desalination and aquifer storage and recovery. The report provides engineering details and cost estimates for various combinations of water supply alternatives to meet three levels of potential community water demand. Board action may be taken on this item.
Action: The Board will address several policy questions related to preparation of a Draft EIR for a long-term water supply project, including lead agency status on California-American Water Company’s proposed Coastal Water Project and overall District goals as they relate to a vote on a water project. Board action will be taken on this item.
Action: Based partially on the policy direction from Item 1b, the Board will provide direction to staff and consultants regarding the primary water supply alternatives to be evaluated, the level of detail of that evaluation, and the water supply goals to be assessed in a Draft Environmental Impact Report (EIR) on a long-term water supply project. A Phase 2 scope of work for the EIR and authorization to amend an existing contract with Jones & Stokes Associates will be considered. Board action will be taken on this item.
2. Consider First Reading of Ordinance No. 108 – An Ordinance of the Monterey Peninsula Water Management District Amending Rule 28.B to Clarify the Discretionary Review of Water Credit Transfer Applications by Board of Directors
Action: The Board will consider adoption of the first reading version of Ordinance No. 108 that would clarify the process of review of water credit transfers. Public comment will be received on this item.
Action: The District’s enabling legislation requires that in March of each year a public hearing be conducted on the annual report. Public comment will be received on this item.