ITEM:

CONSENT CALENDAR

 

2.

CONSIDER EXTENSION OF COOPERATIVE AGREEMENT WITH THE UNITED STATES GEOLOGICAL SURVEY FOR STREAMFLOW GAGING IN WATER YEAR 2011

 

Meeting Date:

September 20, 2010

Budgeted:

Yes

 

From:

Darby Fuerst,

Program/

2-5-1 A

 

General Manager

Line Item No.:

 

Prepared By:

Greg James

Cost Estimate:

$13,450

 

General Counsel Review:N/A

Committee Recommendation: The Administrative Committee reviewed this item on September 13, 2010 and recommended approval.

CEQA Compliance:N/A

 

SUMMARY:The United States Geological Survey (USGS) operates two streamflow gaging stations on the Carmel River:

 

(1)††††††† Carmel River at Robles del Rio (No. 11143200) and

(2)††††††† Carmel River near Carmel (No. 11143250).

 

The upper or "Robles" gage is immediately downstream of Esquiline Bridge (River Mile 14.4) and the lower or "Carmel" gage is immediately downstream of Via Mallorca Bridge (River Mile 3.6). The District relies on the flow data from both of these stations to support a variety of programs and studies.The annual cost of $13,450 for continued operation and maintenance of the Carmel River near Carmel gaging station represents the Districtís 60 percent cost share, with the USGS contributing the remaining 40 percent in Federal Matching Funds.It should be noted that the District does not fund the Robles del Rio station.This station is funded by the Monterey County Water Resources Agency.

 

RECOMMENDATION:Authorize the General Manager to execute the agreement with the USGS providing cooperative investigation of the water resources within the District for Water Year (WY) 2011 for an amount not-to-exceed $13,450.The Administrative Committee reviewed this item on September 13, 2010 and recommended this agreement be extended by a vote of 3 to 0.

 

BACKGROUND:††††† The District has funded a cooperative water resources program with the USGS to monitor Carmel River streamflow since the late 1980s.Other than the District, the USGS is the only other independent agency that monitors continuous Carmel River streamflow.The Carmel station provides a long-term streamflow record that began in 1962.The USGS streamflow data provides a valuable cross check for the Districtís streamflow data when verifying the daily, annual, and peak flows that occur on the Carmel River.In addition, as a cooperator with the USGS, the District has an improved ability to request and obtain various streamflow information including annual reports, current flow conditions, and historical flood flow information.

IMPACT TO STAFF/RESOURCES:The District's share for continuation of streamflow monitoring at the Carmel River near Carmel station for WY 2011 (October 1, 2010 - September 30, 2011) is $13,450, as indicated on Exhibit 2-A, which represents a 1.1 percent increase over the WY 2010 cost.

 

EXHIBITS

2-A††††† USGS Program Letter and Joint Funding Agreement for Water Year 2011

 

 

 

 

U:\staff\word\boardpacket\2010\20100920\ConsentCal\02\item2.doc