Board of Directors
Monterey Peninsula Water Management District
June 18, 2007
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM in the District Conference Room.
Board members present:
Larry Foy – Division 5 (Participated by telephone)
Board members absent:
General Manager present: David A. Berger
District Counsel present: David Laredo
The assembly recited the Pledge of Allegiance.
No comments from the public.
On a motion by Director Edwards and second by Director Potter, the Consent Calendar items were approved on a vote of 6 – 0. Director Knight was absent.
General Manager Berger presented an update on progress made since May 21, 2007 towards completion of strategic planning objectives. A summary of his presentation is on file at the District office and available for review on the District’s web site. Director Lehman requested that General Manager Berger invite a representative from the Big Sur Land Trust to address the Board on the Carmel River Parkway Plan.
Henrietta Stern, Project Manager, presented the report. A summary of the presentation is on file at the District office and available for review on the District’s web site.
Fuerst, Water Resources Manager, presented the report. He stated that between October 1, 2006 and June
13, 2007, California American Water (CAW) production from the
Markey requested that District staff contact the Monterey Regional Park
District and propose that they erect signs advising visitors to
Lehman expressed concern about the effect of dry weather conditions on
tributaries to the
The open session convened at 5:30 PM. Directors present were Edwards, Foy (by phone), Lehman, Markey, Pendergrass and Potter. No public comment was directed to the Board. The meeting was adjourned to Closed Session. District Counsel Laredo reported that the Board met with labor negotiators as listed under item 3. No reportable action was taken. The Board also received a status report on items 4.A through 4.F. No reportable action was taken.
Edwards thanked General Manager Berger and
On a motion by Director Edwards and second by Director Potter, Ordinance No. 128 was adopted on a roll-call vote of 5 - 1. Directors Edwards, Foy, Markey, Pendergrass and Potter voted in favor of the motion. Director Lehman was opposed. Director Knight was absent from the meeting. No comments were directed to the Board during the public hearing on this item.
Director Markey proposed a motion to adopt the July through September 2007 Quarterly Water Supply Strategy and Budget. The motion was seconded by Director Lehman and approved on a unanimous vote of 6 – 0. Directors Edwards, Foy, Lehman, Markey, Pendergrass and Potter voted in favor of the motion. Director Knight was absent from the meeting. No comments were directed to the Board during the public hearing on this item.
On a motion by Director Potter and second by Director Edwards, the Fiscal Year 2007-2008 MPWMD Budget and Resolution 2007-11 were adopted by the Board on a unanimous vote of 6 – 0. Directors Edwards, Foy, Lehman, Markey, Pendergrass and Potter voted in favor of the motion. Director Knight was absent from the meeting. No comments were directed to the Board during the public hearing on this item.
Chair Pendergrass offered a motion that was seconded by Director Potter to: (1) adopt the Memorandum of Understanding as presented in Exhibit 25-A; and (2) authorize the General Manager to execute the final version of the MOU including minor or non-substantive changes requested by other jurisdictions, following review as to acceptable form and legality by General Counsel. The motion was adopted on a vote of 5 – 1. Directors Foy, Lehman, Markey, Pendergrass and Potter voted in favor of the motion. Director Edwards was opposed. Director Knight was absent from the meeting.
During the pubic comment period, Robert Greenwood of the Carmel Valley Association addressed the Board. He expressed support for the concept of regional cooperation addressed by the MOU. He urged the Board to give priority to the District’s immediate water needs by creating 12,000 acre-feet of new water supplies to satisfy the requirements of State Water Resources Control Board Order 95-10. He cautioned that the Board should not delay progress on development of new water supplies by “getting bogged down” in solving conflicting regional water needs.
There was no discussion of these items.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:20 PM.
CALL TO ORDER/ROLL CALL
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
1. Consider Adoption of Minutes of the May 21, 2007 Regular Board Meeting and May 31, 2007 Board Special Meeting/Workshop
2. Consider Ratification of
Appointments to the
3. Consider Expenditure of Budgeted Funds for Sleepy Hollow Steelhead Rearing Facility Stand-by Generator Maintenance Service with Quinn Power Systems
4. Consider Expenditure of
Budgeted Funds to Purchase a
5. Consider Expenditure of Budgeted Funds for Purchase of Computer Software and Hardware for District-wide Upgrades
6. Consider Expenditure of Funds and Authorization to Contract for Limited-Term Field Positions
7. Consider Expenditure of Funds and Authorization to Contract with Hayashi & Wayland to Conduct Annual Financial Audits for Fiscal Years 2006-07, 2007-08 and 2008-09
8. Consider Expenditure of
Funds and Authorization to Amend Contract with
9. Consider Expenditure of
Funds and Authorization to Amend Contract with
10. Consider Authorization of
Funds to Rent Irrigation Equipment to Mitigate for Impacts from the
11. Consider Approval of
Memorandum of Agreement between the Monterey Peninsula Water Management
District and the
12. Consider Adoption of Resolution 2007-08 Establishing Article XIII (B) Appropriations Limit for Fiscal Year 2007-08
13. Consider Adoption of Resolution 2007-09 Authorizing the Execution and Delivery of an Installment Purchase Agreement, a Bond Purchase Agreement, an Official Statement and Continuing Disclosure Certificate and Authorizing Certain Related Matters for ASR Phase 1 Facilities; and Resolution 2007-10 Approving, Authorizing and Directing Execution of an Amended and Restated Joint Exercise of Powers Agreement Relating to the California Statewide Communities Development Authority
14. Receive and File Third Quarter Financial Activity Report for Fiscal Year 2006-07
15. Receive and File Annual Mitigation Program Report for Reporting Year 2005-2006
16. Consider Adoption of Treasurer’s Report for April 2007
17. Strategic Plan Update
18. Water Supply Project Alternatives Update
GENERAL MANAGER’S REPORT
19. Status Report on
20. Report on 5:30 PM Closed Session of the Board
3. Conference with Labor Negotiators (Gov. Code 54957.6)
Agency Designated Representatives: Rick Dickhaut, Cynthia Schmidlin, David A. Berger and Ellen Aldrich
Employee Organization: General Staff and Management Staff Bargaining Unit Represented by Laborer’s International Union of North America, AFL CIO, (LIUNA/UPEC) Local 270
4. Conference with Legal Counsel – Existing Litigation (Gov. Code 54956.9 (a))
A. Application of California American Water Company to the
B. Application of California American Water Company to the California Public Utilities Commission -- Application No. 07-02-023 -- Allowance for Funds Used During Construction (AFUDC) for its San Clemente Dam Memorandum Account
C. State Water Resources Control Board Permit No. 7130B
D. State Water Resources Control Board Permit No. 20808
E. MPWMD v. Nick Marotta, Jr., Gerda Marotta, and
Does 1-100 --
v. Roy Woods, Woods 1995
Trust, and Does 1-100 --
DIRECTORS’ REPORTS (INCLUDING AB 1234 REPORTS ON TRIPS, CONFERENCE ATTENDANCE AND MEETINGS)
21. Oral Reports on Activities of County, Cities, Other Agencies/Committees/
22. Consider Second
23. Consider Adoption of July through September 2007 Quarterly Water Supply Strategy and Budget
24. Consider Adoption of Proposed FY 2007-2008 MPWMD Budget and Resolution 2007-11
25. Consider Approval of
Memorandum of Understanding to
INFORMATIONAL ITEMS/STAFF REPORTS
26. Letters Received
27. Committee Reports
29. Water Conservation Program Report
30. Monthly Allocation Report
32. Monthly Water Supply Status Report
David A. Berger, Secretary to the Board