Board of Directors
Monterey Peninsula Water Management District
January 25, 2007
The meeting was called to order at 7:05 PM in the District conference room.
Board members present:
David Pendergrass, Chair – Mayoral Representative
Judi Lehman – Division 2
Kristi Markey – Division 3
Board members absent: None
General Manager present: David A. Berger
The assembly recited the Pledge of Allegiance.
No comments were directed to the Board during Oral Communications.
On a motion by Director Potter and second by Director Foy, the Consent Calendar was adopted on a unanimous vote of 7 – 0.
General Manager Berger presented the item. Director Markey requested that the Board conduct another discussion on the yield targets to satisfy existing and future District water needs before the jurisdictions complete their review. She stated that the existing water needs estimate could be expressed as a range based on dry and wet year conditions. Chair Pendergrass agreed to conduct the discussion at the March 19, 2007 meeting or a future meeting.
A summary of the report
presented by Darby Fuerst, Water Resources Division Manager, is on file at
the District office and on the District’s website. Mr. Fuerst reported that between October 1,
2006 and January 23, 2007, California American Water (CAW) production from
District Counsel Laredo stated that he provided status reports on all closed session items listed on the agenda. The Board provided direction to staff and counsel. No reportable action was taken.
Judi Lehman reported that she participated as an alternate in the January 17, 2007 Watermaster meeting, and that the main topic of discussion was selecting contractors to complete work mandated by the adjudication decision. She also participated in the January 16, 2007 meeting of the Monterey County Special District’s Association Meeting which included an interesting presentation from the Local Agency Formation Commission.
Director Potter offered a motion that was seconded by Director Foy, to adopt the second reading of Ordinance No. 127 as presented. The motion was approved unanimously by roll-call on a vote of 7 – 0.
No comments were directed to the Board during the public hearing on this item.
Director Potter made a motion to authorize MPWMD to participate in the Division of Ratepayer Advocates-led regional water supply/management alternatives analysis. The motion was seconded by Director Edwards and adopted unanimously on a vote of 7 – 0.
The following comments were
directed to the Board during the public comment period on this item. (1)
Brent Haddad, Associate Professor of Environmental Studies at
There was no discussion of the Informational Items/Staff Reports.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:05 PM.
CALL TO ORDER/ROLL CALL
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
1. Consider Adoption of Minutes of the December 11, 2006 Regular Board Meeting
2. Ratify Board Committee Assignments for Calendar Year 2007
3. Ratify Appointments to Community Advisory Committee
4. Authorize Expenditure of Budgeted Funds to Conduct Water Year 2007 Injection Testing Program at Phase 1 Aquifer Storage and Recovery Facilities
5. Consider Adoption of Resolution 2007-01 Declaring the Official Intent to Reimburse Aquifer Storage and Recovery Expenditures from the Proceeds of Tax Exempt Securities
6. Amendment to Scope of Consultant Contract for Preparation of Integrated Regional Water Management Plan: (A) Consider Entering into an Agreement with Monterey County Water Resources Agency to Reimburse the Costs of Completing an Update of the Canyon Del Rey Drainage Study; (B) Consider Amending Agreement with RMC Water and Environment Consultants for Services to Complete an Update of the Canyon Del Rey Drainage Study
7. Consider Amendment No. 2 to General Manager’s Employment Agreement
8. Consider Approval of General Manager’s Draft PowerPoint Presentation Regarding MPWMD Strategic Water Issues Affecting the Jurisdictions
9. Consider Approval of Annual Update on Investment Policy
10. Consider Adoption of Treasurer’s Report for October 2006
11. Strategic Plan Update
12. Water Supply Project Alternatives Update
GENERAL MANAGER’S REPORT
13. Status Report on California-American
Water Compliance with State Water Resources Control Board Order 95-10 and
14. Report on 5:30 PM Closed Session of the Board
3. Conference with Legal Counsel – Existing Litigation (Gov. Code 54956.9 (a))
A. Application of California American Water Company to the Public Utilities Commission Application No. 04-09-019 – Coastal Water Project
B. Save Our Carmel River; Patricia Bernardi; The Open Monterey Project v. MPWMD; MPWMD Board; and the City of Seaside; Monterey County Superior Court Case No. M72877
C. State Water Resources Control Board Permit No. 7130B
D. State Water Resources Control Board Permit No. 20808
F. California-American Water Company v. City
4. Conference with Legal Counsel – Anticipated Litigation: Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 54956.9 (One Case)
DIRECTORS’ REPORTS (INCLUDING AB 1234 REPORTS ON TRIPS, CONFERENCE ATTENDANCE AND MEETINGS)
15. Oral Reports on Activities of County, Cities, Other Agencies/ Committees/ Associations
16. Consider Second
17. Consider Authorizing MPWMD Participation in Division of Ratepayer Advocates Proposed Analysis of Regional Alternative to Coastal Water Project
INFORMATIONAL ITEMS/STAFF REPORTS
18. Letters Received
19 Committee Reports
21. Water Conservation Program Report
22. Monthly Allocation Report
24. Monthly Water Supply Status Report
25. Quarterly Water Supply Project Status Report
26. Quarterly Irrigation Program and Riparian Projects Report
28. Quarterly Water Use Credit Transfer Status Report
David A. Berger, Secretary to the Board