Board of Directors
Monterey Peninsula Water Management District
July 17, 2006
The meeting was called to order at 7 PM in the Boardroom of the Monterey Regional Water Pollution Control Agency offices.
Larry Foy – Division 5
David Potter –
Directors absent: None
General Manager present: David A. Berger
The assembly recited the Pledge of Allegiance.
No comments were directed to the Board during Oral Communications.
On a motion by Director Pendergrass and second by Director Edwards, the Consent Calendar was adopted on a vote of 6 – 0. Directors Edwards, Foy, Knight, Lehman, Markey and Pendergrass voted in favor of the motion. Director Potter was absent for the vote.
Hank Smith of the Carmel
River Steelhead Association presented a framed certificate of appreciation to
Larry Hampson, Water Resources Engineer, in recognition of his work on
development of a Large Woody Debris Project for the Carmel River Lagoon that
has greatly improved habitat for the
In response to a question
from the Board, Mr. Oliver explained that injection of
Chair Knight reported that the California Public Utilities Commission is conducting a public hearing on July 18, 2006 at 7 PM at the Monterey Marriott in the San Carlos Ballroom. The topic is Cal Am’s request to the CPUC to recover costs for Coastal Water Project pre-construction expenses and to begin collecting contributions from the ratepayers for the project. Director Foy announced that he attended the formal change of command ceremony when Colonel Pamela Martis was given command of the Defense Language Institute. Mr. Foy stated that he was pleased to know that Colonel Martis planned to work closely with the community, just as her predecessor Colonel Jeffrey Cairns had.
On a motion by Director Pendergrass and second by Director Edwards, the staff recommendation to adopt Ordinance No. 124 and transmit a Notice of Determination to the Monterey County Clerk was approved unanimously on a roll-call vote of 7 – 0. No comments were directed to the Board during the public hearing on this item.
Director Edwards offered a motion to adopt the first reading version of Ordinance No. 126 and schedule the ordinance for second reading on August 21, 2006. The motion was seconded by Director Foy and adopted on a roll-call vote of 5 – 2. Directors Edwards, Foy, Knight, Markey and Pendergrass voted in favor of the motion. Directors Lehman and Potter were opposed. No comments were directed to the Board during the public hearing on this item.
Chair Knight made a motion to defer action on amending the contract with Bookman Edmonston/GEI until the September 25, 2006 Board Strategic Planning Workshop. Staff was directed to compile comments and additional information received by project proponents after the report was released, and attach them to the report as an addendum to be presented to the Board prior to the September 25, 2006 Strategic Planning Workshop. In addition, the Board will review the updated Water Supply Alternatives Matrix at the September 18, 2006 Board meeting. Review of this supplemental information will prepare the Board to identify what issues should be addressed in an amended report. The motion was seconded by Director Edwards and adopted unanimously on a vote of 7 – 0. No comments were directed to the Board during the pubic comment period on this item.
There was no Board discussion of the Informational Items/Staff Reports.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:45 PM.
CALL TO ORDER/ROLL CALL
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
1. Consider Adoption of Minutes of the June 22, 2006 Regular Board Meeting and June 29, 2006 Special Meeting/Board Workshop
Consider Extension of
3. Consider Approval of Annual Memorandum of Agreement between the MPWMD and the California Department of Fish and Game – Sleepy Hollow Steelhead Rearing Facility Operations
Consider Approval of Renewed Memorandum of Agreement
between the MPWMD and the
5. Consider Adoption of Treasurer’s Report for May 2006
6. Presentation of Certificate of Appreciation to Larry Hampson, Water Resources Engineer, by Representative of the Carmel River Steelhead Association for Work on the Large Woody Debris Project
7. Water Supply Project Alternatives Update
GENERAL MANAGER’S REPORT
8. Status Report on California-American Water Company Compliance with State Water Resources Control Board Order 95-10
9. Reports on June 29, 2006 and July 17, 2006 Closed Sessions of the Board
July 17, 2006 Closed Session Agenda
1. Public Comment
2. Adjourn to Closed Session
3. Conference with Labor Negotiators (Gov. Code 54957.6)
Designated Representatives: Ellen
Employee Organization: General and Management Bargaining Units represented by Laborer’s International Union of North America, AFL-CIO, (LIUNA/UPEC) Local 270
4. Conference with Legal Counsel – Existing Litigation (Gov. Code 54956.9 (a))
A. Save Our Carmel River; Patricia Bernardi; and The Open Monterey Project v. MPWMD; MPWMD Board; and the City of Seaside; Monterey County Superior Court Case No. M72877
B. Application of California American Water Company to the Public Utilities Commission Application No. 04-09-019 – Coastal Water Project
C. Application of California American Water Company to the Public Utilities Commission Application No. 05-02-012 – General Rate Case
10. Oral Reports on Activities of County, Cities, Other Agencies/Committees/ Associations
13. Consider Amendment to Agreement with Bookman-Edmonston/GEI Consultants to Revise Final Report on Seawater Desalination Project Alternatives
INFORMATIONAL ITEMS/STAFF REPORTS
14. Letters Received
15. Committee Reports
16. Strategic Planning Initiatives Progress Report
18. Water Conservation Program Report
19. Monthly Allocation Report
21. Monthly Water Supply Status Report
22. Quarterly Water Supply Project Status Report
23. Quarterly Irrigation Program and Riparian Projects Report
25. Quarterly Water Use Credit Transfer Status Report
David A. Berger, Secretary to the Board
A Tavani/5 pages/8-9-06/7-17-06 Board Meeting Minutes