This agenda is subject to revision and may be amended prior to the scheduled meeting. A final agenda will be posted at the District office at 5 Harris Court, Monterey, 72 hours prior to the meeting, and copies will be available at the Board meeting. Staff notes regarding these agenda items will be available for public review on Thursday, September 12, 2002 through Monday, September 16, 2002 at the District office and at the Carmel, Carmel Valley, Monterey, Pacific Grove and Seaside libraries.
The next regular meeting of the Board of Directors is scheduled for October 21, 2002.
|5:30 PM - Closed Session|
As permitted by Government Code Section 54956 et seq., the Board may conduct a closed or executive session to consider specific matters dealing with pending or threatened litigation, certain personnel matters, or certain property acquisition matters.
1. Conference with Legal Counsel - Anticipated Litigation - Significant Exposure to Litigation Exists Pursuant to Subdivision (b) (3) (D) of Gov. Code Section 54956.9 (One Case)
2. Adjourn to 7:00 PM Regular Board Meeting
|7:00 PM - Regular Board Meeting|
CALL TO ORDER/ROLL CALL
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
ORAL COMMUNICATIONS Anyone wishing to address the Board on Consent Calendar, Informational Items, Staff Reports or matters not listed on the agenda may do so during Oral Communications. Please limit your comment to three minutes. The public may comment on Action and Public Hearing items at the time they are considered by the Board.
CONSENT CALENDAR Routine items for which staff has prepared a recommendation. Approval of the Consent Calendar ratifies the staff recommendation. The public may address the Board on any Consent Calendar item during the Oral Communications portion of the meeting. Please limit your comments to three minutes.1. Consider Approval of Minutes from the Regular Board meeting of August 29, 2002PRESENTATION
2. Consider Authorization of Funds for Laboratory Analyses and Report for Bioassessment Samples
3. Consider Authorization of Funds for Printing and Mailing of District Newsletter4. Presentation by Assemblyman Fred Keeley on the Carmel River Dam Alternative Plan B Project ReportGENERAL MANAGER'S REPORT5. Report on Conservation Measures Implemented within the Hidden Hills Unit of California-American Water CompanyATTORNEY'S REPORT6. Report on Closed Session of August 29, 2002
DIRECTORS' REPORTS7. Receive Water Demand Committee Report on Possible Multiple Desalination Plants on the PeninsulaPUBLIC HEARINGS
8. Board Comments and Referrals
9. Conduct CEQA Determination and First Reading of Ordinance No. 105 - Amending Rules and Regulations Governing Water Distribution SystemsACTION ITEMS
Action: The Board will consider the first reading of Ordinance No. 105, which amends current MPWMD Rules and Regulations that govern water distribution systems. Ordinance No. 105 is characterized as a means to make refinements to Ordinance No. 96, approved in March 2001, which made substantive changes to regulations governing water systems. The Board will also determine whether to issue a Notice of Intent to Adopt a Negative Declaration for Ordinance No. 105 because an Initial Study concluded that the ordinance would not result in an adverse impact to the environment. Public comment will be received on this item.
10. Confirm Initial Work Plan and Assumptions for Carmel River Flow Threshold Report for Water Supply Project EIR
Action: The Board will consider whether to approve the scope of work for development of a Carmel River Flow Threshold Report that would be used for the water supply project EIR/EIS. If approved, the Board would authorize the General Manager to issue a Task Order to the environmental consultants for a new "Task 2.0". The Threshold Report will consolidate known information and develop current estimates of flows that support various Carmel River species for use in determining thresholds of significance in the EIR/EIS. The report could also provide a foundation for a plan for long-term recovery and sustainability of the Carmel River if such action is approved by the Board in the future. Public comment will be received on this item.
11. Consider Adoption of October through December 2002 Quarterly Water Supply Strategy and Budget
Action: The Board will consider approval of a proposed production strategy for the California-American Water Distribution System for the three-month period of October through December 2002. The strategy sets monthly goals for surface and ground water production from various sources within the California-American water system. Public comment will be received on this item.12. Consider Authorization of Funds for Installation of Large Wood Habitat Structures at the deDampierre Restoration ProjectINFORMATIONAL ITEMS/STAFF REPORTS
Action: The Board will consider authorizing the General Manager to enter into contracts for construction and environmental monitoring of a project to place engineered log and boulder structures in the Carmel River near the Little League baseball fields in Carmel Valley village to benefit the steelhead fishery. Project costs will be reimbursed by a California Department of Fish and Game grant. Public comment will be received on this item.
13. Receive Report on San Clemente Dam Safety Remediation Project
Action: District staff will provide an update on the status of Cal-Am's efforts to comply with recent directives from the Division of Safety of Dams regarding safety issues at San Clemente Dam. Public comment will be received on this item.14. Letters ReceivedADJOURN TO CLOSED SESSION As permitted by Government Code Section 54956 et seq., the Board may adjourn to closed or executive session to consider specific matters dealing with pending or threatened litigation, certain personnel matters, or certain property acquisition matters.
15. Committee Reports
16. Strategic Planning Initiatives Progress Report
17. Monthly Water Supply Project Report
18. Carmel River Fishery Report
19. Water Conservation Program Report
20. Water Use Credit Transfer Status Report
21. Monthly Allocation Report
22. Monthly Cal-Am Sales Report
23. Monthly Cal-Am Production Report
24. Production Report - CAWD/PBCSD Wastewater Reclamation Project
25. Monthly Water Supply Status Report26. Conference with Legal Counsel (Gov. Code Section 54956.9)ADJOURNA. California-American Water Company Application No. 02-04-022 to the Public Utilities Commission for Authority to Increase Rates for Service for 2003, 2004 and 200527. Conference with Labor Negotiators (Gov. Code Section 54957)A. Agency Designated Representatives: Ernesto A. Avila, Rick Dickhaut, Cynthia Schmidlin28. Conference with Legal Counsel - Existing Litigation (Gov. Code Section 54956.9)
Employee Organization: Laborers' International Union of North American, AFL-CIO, (Liuna/UPEC) Local 270
B. Agency Designated Representative: Ernesto A. Avila
Unrepresented Employees: Confidential Staff UnitA. Mary Currier, Chris Currier and Roy and Jeanell Kaminske v MPWMD, Case No. M59299, Monterey County Superior Court
B. Cities of Seaside, Carmel, Del Rey Oaks, Monterey, Pacific Grove and Sand City v MPWMD, Case No. M59441, Monterey County Superior Court
Board of Directors
Kris Lindstrom, Chair – Division 4
Zan Henson, Vice Chair - Division 5
Alvin Edwards B Division 1
Judi Lehman - Division 2
Molly Erickson - Division 3
David Pendergrass - Mayoral Representative
David Potter B Monterey County Board of Supervisors
Ernesto A. Avila